The cover of a 1975 report by John Keller on the Black Dog Village site. Based on the excavations of a large (26-x-18 feet) rectangular dwelling that was excavated at this Hutchinson County site (41HC30), an unidentified artist drew a reconstruction of the “big house” that may date to about A.D. 1300. It shows walls consisting of vertical rock slabs and mud (or adobe), with a high roof covered in thatch (grass). Evidence of burned grass and brush was found in this house. Like Hank’s site, this site was also named for a canine, and the unnamed “black dog” is shown in the picture.
Close Window