African American Church and School at Antioch Colony
Throughout the South, schools, churches, and other facilities were racially segregated after emancipation, and various state, county, city, and local laws enforced these practices for more than a century. For each freedmen community that had its own church and school, these facilities were important social anchors the community. The photograph on the left shows the original Antioch Methodist Church that was in use from ca. 1881 to 1942. The photograph on the right shows the original Antioch Colony school that was in use from ca. 1874 to 1939. The exact date of the photographs is not known but are likely from the 1950s.