|Fort McKavett was established
near the headwaters of the San Saba River in 1852. Major renovations and
additions between 1867 and 1883 included the post headquarters, or administration
building, pictured here.
The flagpole behind the building is at the center of the large parade ground. The stone building beyond is historic, but was constructed during civilian occupation of the site. Photo by John Cobb.