Built in 1856, the commanding officer's quarters stands in ruin today. In addition to providing residence for the commanding officer, his family, and servants, it also served as guest quarters for visiting officers, including William T. Sherman, general of the army, and Gen. Phillip Sheridan. Photo courtesy Texas Parks and Wildlife Department. View 1936 photo of building before it burned.
Close Window